Shipping is an essential part of the global economy. Goods are transported all over the world by sea, and this mode of transportation is vital for the distribution of goods to consumers. Here are 10 interesting facts about sea shipping:
1. 90% of global trade is transported by sea.
2. More than 50,000 merchant ships sail the world’s oceans.
3. The world’s largest shipping company is Maersk, with a fleet of more than 500 ships.
4. The average container ship can carry up to 8,000 containers.
5. China is the world’s largest exporter, and the United States is the world’s largest importer.
6. The busiest seaport in the world is Shanghai, which handled 39 million containers in 2016.
7. Sea shipping is responsible for transporting around 60% of global trade and employs around 1.5 million people.
8. The maritime industry is forecast to grow by 5% each year through 2022, reaching a value of USD 2 trillion.
9. The International Maritime Organization (IMO) is an intergovernmental organization established in 1948 to promote the safe, efficient, and environmentally sound operation of ships at sea.
10. The global fleet of modern container ships is expected to be 1.3 million units by 2020.
In conclusion, the sea shipping will continue to grow in 2022 as the industry responds to the needs of consumers and businesses. With the rise of e-commerce, the growth of container shipping, and the increasing demand for energy, sea shipping is set to play a significant role in the global economy.